PENSIONER WHO MISSED 1950 SHOWDOWN LOSES FINAL TICKET
Posted under: 2014 FIFA World Cup, Gossip, News
Joedir Belmont, 85, had a ticket for Brazil’s loss to Uruguay witnessed by 200,000 people at the Maracana owing to a family illness.
But he kept his ticket and donated it to FIFA’s football museum, who responded by giving him two tickets for this year’s final, secretary general Jerome Valcke handing them over personally.
Belmont had managed to obtain tickets for several games outside Rio for this year’s tournament but not the final itself until football’s world body intervened.
Now his dreams of seeing the denouement of the World Cup again may be dashed as he mislaid the tickets on the way home from last week’s ceremony handing them over to him, O Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper reported Friday.
“I kept a ticket for 64 years; I lost the other inside six hours,” the paper quoted Belmont as lamenting.
He said he had reported the loss and FIFA had advised him to wait to see if they show up or else they will re-issue the two tickets he was given and a third he was allowed to buy.
“If my tickets aren’t handed in they have promised to re-issue them –they have my name on.
“My cousins, who are dead now, saw Brazil defeated (in 1950) — but I’m very much hoping that I shall see the Selecao crowned champions,” said Belmont.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.